The Sigma Iota Rho (SIR) Journal of International Relations is looking for submissions from undergraduate students for its print and online journal. The 15th Volume of the SIRJournal of International Relations is set for publication in spring 2013, and submissions will be open until January 15, 2013. Submissions must be 2,000-6,000 words in length. The online edition, SIRJournal.org, will maintain an interactive discussion of current affairs in international relations, with regular posts, updates, announcements and comment features throughout the academic year; submissions are rolling. Please see the submissions page for Print Journal and SIRJournal.org for more information.
The Journal has a circulation of 3,000 copies, which are distributed to over 120 undergraduate international relations programs and APSIA graduate international relations schools. Each edition includes a featured article by a leading voice in international relations—previous headliners have included Richard Haass, president of the Council on Foreign Relations, and Robert Zoellick, president of the World Bank.
Articles (1,500 – 4,000 words): Must fall under the broad category of international relations and may have either a contemporary or historical focus.
Book Reviews (1,000-2,000 words): Books must be recent scholarly works on international relations. Reviews may have either a contemporary or historical focus.
Opinion-Editorial Columns (800 – 1,200 words): Take the form of short opinion pieces focusing on an event or theme of current relevance in international affairs. Given the 15 – 30 day delay in publishing online submissions, authors should take care that their op-eds do not risk falling out of relevance in the intervening period.
- Representative of original work, academic in style and tone, and makes clear contribution to current scholarship in international relations.
- Microsoft Word (.doc) format, double-spaced, 12 pt Times New Roman font, and 1 inch margins.
- Full citations according to the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Front cover page including name, email, telephone number, and affiliated institution.
- Articles should include a title, a 200-word maximum length and a brief biography (indicating whether or not the author is a member of Sigma Iota Rho).
- Charts, graphs, and other pertinent illustrations are acceptable.
- Send all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rules for Submission:
- Authors must be current undergraduate students.
- Articles must be original and previously unpublished.
- Relevant articles include research and findings in topics such as economics, political science, history, and area studies.
- Papers must be between 2,000 and 6,000 words in length.
- Citations must be completed according to the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition.
- Submissions with charts, graphs, or other pertinent illustrations are acceptable.
Format of Submissions:
- Articles must be in Microsoft Word (.doc format) with 1-inch margins, double-spaced, and typed in 12 point, Times New Roman font.
- A front cover page must list: name, email, telephone number, and university.
- Submissions must include a title, a 200-word maximum length abstract, and a brief biography.
Deadline for Submissions:
Send submissions & questions to the SIR Journal Editorial Board: SIR Journal
Join our Blogging Team!
Interested in a particular topic in international relations?
Join our blogging team and share your interest with readers nationwide.
Blogs should have a regional or thematic focus relevant to contemporary international relations, with submissions made on a monthly basis. Applications should include the following three items, structured according to the submission guidelines outlined below:
• A brief statement of interest, including a proposal for the blog’s theme
• 1 writing sample (1,000 words minimum each)
• 1 sample blog post (500 – 700 words)